Yes, I'm heading to the Middle Kingdom! (not Middle Earth. That's a totally different place).
I thought I'd try my hand at a little sketch-journalism and travel writing this time, so I'm bringing several types of sketchbooks for different purposes:
- Stillman and Birn Alpha A5 hardcover sketchbook for the main daily drawings
- Daler-Rowney Graduate A4 landscape hardcover sketchbook for big spaces and panoramas
- Daler-Rowney Graduate A5 paperback sketchbook for writing (mainly) and the odd sketch
- Moleskine A6 sketchbook for quick draws
- A5 brown paper sketchbook for trip preparation and planning
- A5 black paper sketchbook for night sketches
In fact, I've already started using the brown sketchbook I bought from my friend (he makes them!). More writing and cutouts in them than sketching, but that might change soon. I did try out some Chinese calligraphy, as you can see, with some Pentel brush pens. Never formally learned it, but picked up some strokes from here: http://www.chinesecalligraphyinfo.com/instruction/basic_strokes.php
Since China has the famous "Great Firewall", I might not be able to update this blog from there. But then again, I might be able to get some VPN access, so cross your fingers and hope for the best! I'll try to put in some more updates before I leave.