Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sketchpacking Western Australia 2012: Perth City

Over the next few posts I'll be putting up scans from my travel sketch-journal of my recent trip to Western Australia. You'll find that there are different types of sketches, different media, and different approaches. Some sketches are on-location. Others are representative or illustrative, and not done on-site. I'll add some annotations to share the different approaches and thought processes.

The posts will be split into 4 parts following the 4 legs of our journey:
  1. Perth City
  2. Rottnest Island
  3. Margaret River
  4. Fremantle
There are a total of 25 pages, about half of which I drew only after coming back home. Sometimes you just don't have that much time when you travel, which is why you should always carry a camera - and use it!

Enjoy!

Day 0: Singapore to Perth

 The sketch above was done while waiting for our flight at Singapore's Changi Airport. I used a Hero 578 pen with Calli ink (I loaded Calli ink into the pen because it's waterproof, unlike normal fountain pen ink which would mess up if you tried to use watercolour over it). These guys were my travel buddies for this trip. We were probably the last to board our plane after I finished this drawing! Lesson learned: Never EVER get so engrossed in sketching till you miss your flight!

Samuel

Ezra

The right sketch was done using a Faber Castell Pitt brush-tip pen. I used a gel pen for the air stewardess, but the ink seemed to be not so waterproof. I used the gel pen instead of the Hero because it can be dangerous to use fountain pens or cartridge pens on an airplane. The air pressure difference would cause an overflow of ink and become very messy. Watercolours were Winsor & Newton artist quality watercolours. I believe they were applied using a waterbrush (the air pressure would affect the water flow, but since it's plain water, it's not so bad).

Day 1: Perth City

PICA - Perth Institute of Contemporary Art
Drawn on-site with the Hero pen and wash applied later. Sometimes you just don't have time to apply colours on-site.

My sketch of PICA

That's me sketching PICA
PICA is situated in the Cultural Centre area of Perth, where you will also find the Western Australian Museum, the Art Museum and the Library.


I managed another sketch that day of the WA Museum:

Western Australian Museum
My sketch of WA Museum. Wash applied later

 The following sketches were done from photos. That gave me a bit of time to think of what to include on this page. I took a fair bit of artistic license with the Town Crier sculpture, which was actually dark bronze, not white.
Sculptures and Sandy
Town Crier

Reclining Figure by Henry Moore

Adam, by Rodin
 Sketching can make you new friends! I saw a girl sketching the railway station and started a conversation.
Sandy and Me
 She even joined us for dinner!

Dinner at Pepper Lunch - one of the only affordable places open at that hour


 Day 2: King's Park

It was a very sunny day and pretty hot in the afternoon. Perfect for going to the park! But before that we took a walk round the city and had our breakfast. The following sketches were done from photographs using the Hero pen. I was trying to take in all the sights that I didn't have time to sit down and sketch.


Stirling Gardens
Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Swan Bells
Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012
 It was Spring, so the flowers were in bloom at King's Park! The wildflower festival was on. Three things about King's Park left a deeper impression: 1) Memorials - there were many; 2) Flowers - they were colourful and pretty; 3) Bushland - a large part of the park has been preserved as bushland. I didn't manage to catch the Indigenous Tours because they didn't run on Sundays... :(


Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Leucospermum
Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Boab Tree
Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Red Kangaroo's Paw
Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

Copyright © Favian Ee Sept 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment